When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Wednesday 11 June 2014

Race Report: Club Individual Time Trial, 8 June 2014

I am a big fan of the Wyreema course as I reckon it is well suited to a lanky grinder like me. It was a very nice morning for a race, but I do disagree with the common sentiment that it was 'perfect conditions for a time trial'. Here is why... 

With the course being almost all downhill on the way out and then (obviously) largely uphill on the way home, in my opinion you will do a faster time with a little headwind on the way out (which you will barely notice) and (obviously again) a little tail wind on the way home, to help you uphill and also to ease the fatigue that is setting in. I also thought that the day was cold and heavy and the course was a bit of a grind as a result. I think that the evidence to back up my theory is that of the four times I have raced the Wyreema ITT, this edition was my highest average and normalised power (by a good 12 - 15 watts) but was actually only my third fastest time. The two occasions I went quicker (by 12 seconds and 28 seconds) the wind was as I described earlier. The other telling factor for me is that fact that Andrew Patten (last year's silver medallist in the Masters World Championships in the 44 - 49 year group) won the race in a time of 27 minutes 17 seconds. Andrew is well and truly a sub-27 minute rider on that course. I reckon the conditions knocked him around a little as well. Assuming that I am right, anyone who rode a PB on the day should be especially proud of themselves. 

So to the race... I came third with a 28 minute 4 second ride. Andrew won (as I said above) and Trent West came second with a 27 minute 42 second ride. Matthew Locker also a notable mention in fourth with a mid 28 minute ride. Matthew has been working hard on his time trial and fine tuning his position, with some solid gains starting to come through for him.

Overall, a week out from the State Titles Individual Time Trial, I am pretty pleased. I pulled off a good set of numbers (with, it's got to be said, some tired legs from a solid 200 TSS ride the day before). There is another part of the ride I am very pleased with. Since last September, I have been on a pretty intense core program. I think I am finally starting to see some tangible benefits from it. This was the first time at Wyreema (or any time trial with a hill in it for that matter), where I have stayed locked in position, on my extensions, in the seat, uphill or downhill, for the entire race (except the start and the turn around of course). This is really encouraging as that kind of form makes a difference in terms of power output and aero gains. 

So off to the State Titles Individual Time Trial this weekend, in the Masters 40 - 44 years category. Who am I up against? Well there is the guy who has won the  Australian Titles Individual Time Trial in Masters 35-39 previously. Or there is the guy who came second last year in the Australian Titles Individual Time Trial in Masters 40-44 years. Or that guy who used to be a pro for Fly V... I think you get my point. It will be highly competitive but I intend to ride my guts out regardless. Wish me luck... 

No comments:

Post a Comment