When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Race Report: Queensland Titles Individual Time Trial, MMAS 3, 16 June 2014

This, was a good day...

This was a target race for me and I am pleased to say that I manged to exceed my expectations. I came 5th in this event last year, still recovering from a nasty chest cold. This time around, the field was stronger and I had it in my head that I would be satisfied with 4th or 5th, but still hoped I could pull something out of the bag.

The course was slightly longer than usual because the course marshals got their tens and elevens confused. We ended up doing a touch under 22 km instead of the standard 20 km. The course itself was reasonable with a bit of wind that picked up as the day progressed. I must confess though, that I do not like the Purga course one bit. I don't think the ups and downs suit me too much. 

I ended up riding an official time of 30 min and 50 seconds (debatable, again, as I honestly believe they have mine and Chris Pryor's times incorrect by ten seconds, but an irrelevant detail I suppose), which gave me the bronze medal, sixteen seconds behind Chris Pryor in second and a minute behind Tim Dagliesh in first. This was far and away the best time trial I have ridden in masters racing. I was a scant two seconds in front of fourth place and six seconds in front of fifth. 

So a solid 'tick' in the 'goals for 2014' list. A state medal (my first one in sixteen years) in a target event I have worked very hard towards. Happy days!



No comments:

Post a Comment