When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Sunday 27 July 2014

For Bikeline Racing Members - The Charles Coin Memorial / Mardi Bartlett Classic & The Cunningham Classic - Part 3

Sorry folks...this is going to be brief. I'm still in the midst of recovering from my recent QRTS crash at Gatton. Broken ribs, punctured lung and then a lung infection a few days later just for good measure. So here goes...

The Cunningham Classic is a great race. It's been running forever and it deserves its excellent reputation. If I add it up I think I have ridden the junior version twice, Elite A (I think) six times and in masters just the once. The race is dictated by the wind and it is usually a cross-wind kind of day. Rarely though, it can be a tail wind (I think I can recall that twice in all the times I have raced it). 

All of the previous comments I have made are relevant for the Cunningham Classic but here are a few specific ideas for this particular race:

Don't get too hung up on the climb. It's too far from the finish to make or break the race; just don't get dropped! My advice from the last article on how to 'slide' from the front to the back will work here, but with a little more effort given the length of the hill.

I've always felt that the hardest part of the race is the cross-wind (usually) section not far after the KOM, that leads into Pilton and the feed zone. If you have had a hard time on the climb you MUST recover and recover quickly. Unless you really think you have the legs to go for the KOM, I would suggest a conservative approach to the climb and save your biccies for what comes after.

If the wind is blowing a head or cross-head, the race time will be slow. Remember that your nutrition planning should be based on hours not kilometres, so carry enough food and water.

If there is to be a selection made in this race, it normally comes late if there are strong enough cross-winds. Position is critical! Stay near the front and ride smart. Do not do all the work, but be watchful of splits that look strong and could potentially ride away. This race definitely favours those who can conserve their energy early and then power home late. 

The finish straight in the Cunningham is a hard one to judge. It's slightly uphill and as a general comment I think most people go far too early. I would be getting on a good wheel, following it and popping up late. 

So there you have it...short and to the point but hopefully of some help. Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for these articles Dean, I have found them very interesting and informative. I hope you will continue to do some more racing/ traing tip blogs for us in the future., Thanks Tori.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Tori I'm glad you have enjoyed the articles.

    ReplyDelete