When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Wednesday 6 August 2014

Race Report: Queensland Road Team Series (QRTS 4) - 19 & 20 July 2014 (and that crash)

I haven't ridden a QRTS since round 1 at Yarrabilba when I had an absolutely shite weekend. Round 4 at Gatton would prove to be a very 'ying & yang' affair, with some solid points and form and a ride in an ambulance (well, actually two ambulances). 

The QRTS round was a repeat of the Gatton weekend from last year, with a 15 km Individual Time Trial and a 105km road race on the Saturday and a 105 km road race on the Sunday.

Stage 1 - 15 km Individual Time Trial:
This was a stage I always knew I could do well in and I am very pleased with how it went. I rode a very controlled effort on the tough, undulating course, and finished in 19th place (originally reported as 20th) in 21 minutes and 50 seconds, in a very competitive field. The team performed extremely well with Rolfie (10th), Trent (12th), CJ (15th) and James O (29th). Five riders in the top 30 (top 30 get the points) is a massive effort and a first time for Team TLD. This was also my highest finish in a QRTS and I was pretty happy about it.


Stage 2 - 105 km Road Race
The road race was on the same course as the morning time trial and again I had good legs. The course had some sharp cross winds in sections but fortunately I was able to position myself okay when it mattered and stayed out of trouble. Having said that, I was caught up behind a crash at about 70 km, and had to chase back on. Rolfie was also caught up with me so we rode a 6 km pairs time trial to get back to the bunch (not - fun - do - not - advise - riding - pairs - time - trial - with Rolfie - and - his - 12 - cog). This little effort definitely stung my legs which is a shame given how the stage would end. The field dwindled and dwindled in the cross wind an it was a much smaller bunch that would go a bit ballistic on the last lap. Two little groups slipped off the front late (with Trent picking up an 8th) and I managed to pop up in the bunch sprint to get a 22nd (originally reported as 20th). My second best ever finish in a QRTS and combined with the morning stage, my best ever QRTS day by a country mile. Happy days!


Stage 2 - 105 km Road Race
I woke up feeling good and was looking forward to this stage very much. Little did I know it would all be over in less than 7 km. The bunch was chipping along at 50 km/h and someone clipped a wheel a handful of riders in front of me. No big deal, brake carefully, steer left, try to get around it. Problem was, moron over on my right side (don't remember who he was) does a panic lock-up and swings left very hard. This leaves me with no front wheel and I am heading towards the bitumen. As I said, I don't know who that rider was, but this inability to ride a bicycle is exactly what makes the QRTS so dangerous and full of crashes. You sir, need to find your way to an established club and say 'excuse me, I'm very fit, but I don't know how to ride a bicycle, can someone help me?' 

The prefect storm of crash events wasn't over yet. I am still trying to fall 'properly' when I realise that I have someone on top of me. This pushed me straight back onto my bike and I am surfing on the road with my Cervelo jammed between me and the bitumen, with the handlebars nicely wedged into my rib cage.

You know how after a crash the adrenalin is rushing and you jump up all fired up, looking for your bike? Yeah, that didn't happen. I knew I was in trouble. I landed in the recovery position (how considerate of me) and the race doctor had to administer a morphine drip just to get me off the road. Three hours later I'm in Toowoomba Hospital diagnosed with multiple broken ribs and a punctured lung. Not happy days!


Two closing thoughts about the spill. QRTS is a great thing, and I know the race permits are hard to come by, but the double line issue is causing a lot of danger for the riders in the cross winds. When there is a surge in the gutter, then the pace eases up, the bunch has a natural tendency to fan across the road. When the riders are terrified to cross the double line because they will get fined or disqualified, then that fanning becomes compressed (normally at high speeds) and you see situations like the one that put me on the floor.

Combine that with the fact that I believe there are a LOT of riders in QRTS lacking the necessary skills and experience to operate a bicycle at high speeds in a big bunch and it is no wonder there are so many crashes in this series.

Solutions? I don't know. QRTS could maybe look at traveling a little more to parts of the state where the double lines and traffic management will not be so much of an issue. Riders (not all of course) need to generally 'take a breath' and stop hitting the emergency brakes because they saw a lolly wrapper on the road. I was lucky enough to grow up racing in a club (Rockhampton) where some 'old heads' showed me all the arts of bunch riding as a sixteen year old. Sadly I think this is lacking in many places these days.

My recovery is now progressing well, after a setback in the first week when I ended up back at the hospital with a lung infection. I've been pedaling around on the indoor trainer for a few days and hope to be back on the open road in a few weeks. I still have a chance to target some end of year races but won't be doing the Queensland and Australian Masters titles as I had planned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment