When I was 26, I would jokingly refer to my bike as the CWM (Cross Wind Missile). I'm not 26 anymore...

About Me

My name is Dean Russell and I raced road bikes and some track endurance in the 1990s. I stopped racing in 1999 when I was 26. After almost thirteen years of being a lazy slug I decided to put my sorry backside onto a bike seat and have another crack at racing. This blog chronicles my journey from being completely unfit and overweight to becoming one of the oldest Elite A grade riders in Queensland...and then slipping nicely back into Masters racing.

Saturday 6 May 2017

Race Report: World Masters Games, 26-28 April 2017



The World Masters Games are held every four years and the event claims to be the world's largest multi-sport event. 28,000 athletes competed and 300 of those were in the track cycling program. There were 17 riders in my 40-44 years division. The games were based at Auckland but the track program was held at the Avantidrome, in Cambridge (about two hours south of Auckland).

3 km Individual Pursuit
This event went above expectation for me. I qualified with a personal best time of 3.34.14 (previous personal best was 3.36.5). That is a big chunk of time and I was exceptionally happy with that. Fortunately, that was enough to qualify me in second place and a spot in the gold medal final later that day. I was up against Argentina's German Ariel Lopez, who had qualified fastest in a very impressive 3.30. I had to try something to close that gap. I put a bigger gear on and started harder than I ever had before. We were dead even at halfway but I blew up and faded pretty badly after that. I ended up with a 3.38 and German with a 3.33. But in the end, I was pretty happy with my silver medal. New Zealand's Andrew Grainger took the bronze:

20 km Points Race
This was a fast and furious affair with two Argentinians riding very aggressively and a group of strong New Zealanders determined not to let them get away. I sat back and watched this battle unfold for a while. Eventually the elastic broke and I chased hard to get across to the two Argentinians and we were gone. We lapped the field before too long and secured the three medals. Both riders were a lot quicker than me in the sprints, so I ended up with the bronze. Marcos Pettovello with the gold and German Ariel Lopez with the silver. Another result that I am very happy with. I also need to mention that in terms of safety, this was one of the wildest track races I have ever done. My two breakaway companions were not too worried about the safety of everyone else; me top of the list!


750 m Time Trial
This event is normally one for the sprinters and this would be no exception. I rode 53 seconds (which I was actually quite happy with) and finished in 8th place.

10 km Scratch Race
I like my scratch races a lot longer than this. Despite that, I rode  aggressively and tried very hard to escape the bunch. There were still ten or so of us left at the finish and I ended up 6th.

So overall, a silver medal and a bronze medal. An outcome I am very (very) satisfied with.

The other highlight of the trip was hanging out with a very fun and supportive group of Aussies (including Queenslanders of course). Too many to mention by name, but the middle of the track was a lot of fun! 

I must admit though, I am relieved that track season 2016 / 2017 has finished. I have trained through four major championships since October last year and I am grateful to be able to stop. I couldn't be happier with how the season has gone. I won't bore you with a list of what went well, but I will just leave this here (blatant brag picture coming up). Thanks as always to my coach Mark Brady for helping make this happen and my ever-supportive wife Nadine as well:


So what's next? Some road racing before long. I have just had a week off the bike which I thoroughly enjoyed. Queensland Road Team Series Round 1 with Colliers Racing Team is just five weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment